Remote Client Intake Internship (Summer 2023)
The Alliance: The Alliance for Children's Rights is a nonprofit organization that provides free holistic legal services and advocacy to youth and families impacted by child welfare and juvenile justice systems in Los Angeles County, and works to enact policy changes statewide. Our lawyers, advocates, and social workers, together with hundreds of pro bono attorneys and community volunteers, work to ensure that those we serve have the tools to overcome barriers to stability and success, and access to the education, healthcare, and financial supports that they need. Since 1992, we have helped over 150,000 children. For more information visit: www.allianceforchildrensrights.org.
What Your Impact Will Be: Interns will learn about the Los Angeles County dependency system and the resources available to those involved in the system by:
- Interacting directly with potential Alliance clients as our first point of contact with the client, performing initial client intake screenings.
- Answering phone calls and doing assessments to gather basic facts about a client’s situation to see how the Alliance can best assist them.
- Working with an Alliance attorney to assess the caller’s legal needs, verify information and refer callers to appropriate resources.
- Students also work under the direction of staff attorneys conducting research, preparing documents and correspondence, and developing resource and educational materials for clients.
The Ideal Candidate Will Possess:
· Availability between 16-20 hours per week (minimum four 4-hour days per week) between 9am-5:30pm PST Monday-Friday. Shifts are 9:30am-1pm or 1pm-4:30pm PST.
· This internship is offered remotely. Students do not need to be in the Los Angeles area to participate. However, students must be able to work during our Los Angeles business hours listed above.
· Training is mandatory and will be held in late May or mid-June.
· We can sponsor course credit for students.
· The ability to speak, read, and write Spanish highly valued.
Applying: Please include in your cover letter any relevant experiences, background, or perspective, professional or otherwise, you have in working with diverse populations and/or towards goals of equity and racial justice. Cover letter must include availability, including first available start date. Recommended to apply as soon as possible as applications may close at any time.
The Alliance can provide a stipend up to $3,000 for part-time interns, adjusted for funds received externally. We are happy to help you complete any paperwork necessary to secure scholarships or additional funding and encourage pursuing such funding. For funds received externally, written documentation of source, amount, etc. will be requested prior to start date.
The Alliance for Children’s Rights is committed to building and supporting a culturally diverse and inclusive environment that values all staff members’ backgrounds and perspectives in our work. We strongly encourage individuals from all traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, and prohibit discrimination against employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, veteran status, or any other unlawful basis.