UX/UI Design Internships: Summer 2023
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery… the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are…
When we say, “the stuff dreams are made of,” we’re not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD’s vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what’s next…
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
This hybrid opportunity is located in New York, Seattle or Los Angeles.
Why Join the Warner Bros. Discovery Team?
Delivering one of the largest and most iconic content libraries in streaming to millions of consumers around the globe is no easy feat. It requires high levels of collaboration, a willingness to take risks, and a passion to tackle some of the most complex technical challenges. That’s why at Warner Bros. Discovery, we cultivate an environment for our employees to thrive, whether it’s building all of our tech from scratch to continuously innovate, working at the exciting pace of a startup, or utilizing our flexible working hours to enhance collaboration with teams across the world. We think big and we hire people who do the same: technologists who love owning a problem and creating their own elegant solutions, and those who are willing to try, fail, learn, and try again because that’s how we truly build the future.
Why Intern at Warner Bros. Discovery:
In addition to building great products and creating some of the best content in the world, we’ve built a great team and culture! Our program offers unique experiences, with tremendous opportunities for growth. Everyone is passionate about the work we do, and it’s energizing to work on something you authentically care about.
Your New Role…
As a UX/UI Design Intern working on UX/UI and prototyping, you'll be part of the Global Product & Design team responsible for our enhanced streaming product, a combination of the best of Discovery+ and HBO Max. The Global Product & Design team has offices in New York City, Knoxville, TN, Bellevue, WA, Los Angeles and London, and regularly works with colleagues across the globe.
We’re looking for a UX/UI Design Intern with a strong interest and passion for designing engaging video playback experiences for web, mobile, and connected TVs. The ideal candidate must be a self-motivated individual with a willingness to learn and contribute. You’ll work alongside some of the best product designers in the streaming industry, helping define what it’s like to stream movies, series, and sports on all the platforms we support.
- Focus on designing product experiences across a variety of platforms
- Work within an existing design system, but consider opportunities to expand upon it
- Develop, present, and advocate for your work
- Work closely with design leads, taking and acting upon their feedback
- Be flexible and comfortable with fast-paced processes
Key Features of the Program:
- 1:1 Mentorship: You’ll be assigned a mentor for the duration of the program to ensure you get off to a flying start and continue to meet your development goals throughout.
- Tech Speaker Series: You’ll frequently learn about new technologies and trends and meet and learn from some of the most talented technologists in the industry, both internal and external to Warner Bros. Discovery.
- Career Coaching: You’ll receive tailored career advice and guidance from experienced data experts, and leaders who have been where you are, and will share how they have successfully navigated their careers.
- Global Exposure: Most of our teams and products have global impact, meaning often our interns are working on projects that impact multiple markets. This provides you with unique insight into solving problems at scale, the nuances between markets and how we leverage technology to provide seamless and consistent quality across our customer experience globally.
- Global Network: By the end of the program you’ll have built a global network of talented Engineers, Product Managers, Data Scientists and Analysts, Product Designers, Marketeers and business leaders. You’ll also have an extensive network for peers with whom you will have built great relationships! It’s a small industry and the network you build and the impression you make during the program will be invaluable throughout your career.
- Long-term Career Prospects: While this is a summer internship, we see this as the start of a long-term relationship. Many of our current employees are prior interns and for developers early in their career Warner Bros. Discovery DTC offers unparalleled opportunities. From working on unique and exciting projects, to having global impact and gaining international experience. We’ve also built a fantastic culture that is truly diverse and inclusive, reflected in creativity and innovation across our products and features. And of course, you’ll work with our talented team; our engineers are among the best in the industry and are excited to mentor and develop the next generation of tech talent!
What you need to know about the DTC Summer 2023 Program Application Process:
- Our Summer 2023 internship program is 11 weeks long, commencing June 5th - August 18th.
- Our internships are paid opportunities. Credit is not required; however, we will provide documentation if necessary.
- We do not require a cover letter. Please demonstrate your passion for the position through your resume.
A Warner Bros. Discovery Intern team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.
- Interest in designing 10ft, mobile and web experiences
- Strong visual design skills, as evidenced in a design portfolio
- Comfortable designing user interfaces with Figma
- Logical, systematic thinking
- Good communication skills and an ability to describe proposed use cases and interactions
- Passion for ideation, collaboration, iteration and feedback
- Empathy for the customers who use our product
- Must be currently enrolled as a student (proof of enrollment will be required if selected for an internship).
- Must be a rising Junior, Senior or Grad Student.
- Preferred 3.0 GPA.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Balance is important to us; we work hard, but think it’s also important to have a good sense of humor and have fun while doing great work!
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles in locations where legally required. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The rate listed is just one component of Warner Bros. Discovery’s total compensation package for employees. Pay Rate: $38 per hour USD.
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.If you’re a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at email@example.com.