2023 Winemaking Internship
Hamel Family Wines in Sonoma Valley, California is seeking winemaking interns to assist its core winegrowing team for the 2023 harvest!
Approximate Time Frame: August – November 2023. Exact term of harvest internship is dependent on the growing season.
Successful candidates will share a passion for wine and viticulture, and an interest in biodynamic grape growing and winemaking process. They will also be prepared to work hard in a team-oriented, exacting work environment, and willing to work long, concentrated hours. The position will be demanding and require a deep commitment to detail, rigor and focus throughout the winegrowing process that takes no shortcuts in its pursuit for the highest quality.
Our Winemaking Internship is an opportunity to spend the harvest immersed in all facets of grape processing, fermentation management, and pressing. The intern will gain exposure to intensive winemaking practices for our wines that come from 94 acres of biodynamically-farmed, estate vineyards in Sonoma Valley and the Moon Mountain District.
The intern will work closely with a small team and will learn a dynamic set of responsibilities in the winery, contributing immensely to a set of terroir-driven premium wines.
Winery Responsibilities Include:
• Operating sorting, de-stemming, and press equipment during grape processing;
• Grape maturity sampling in the vineyard;
• Fermentation management, monitoring, and analysis;
• Maintaining winery sanitation;
• Winery and cave organization;
• Barrel, oak tank and concrete tank preparation and maintenance.
The intern position will require long, concentrated hours at the winery including weekends and evenings/early mornings.
• Passion for terroir and the connection between the vineyard and wine quality;
• Previous winery and/or vineyard experience a plus;
• Strong work ethic and self-starter;
• Pleasant, team-oriented attitude;
• Enthusiasm to engage in all winery and vineyard tasks;
• Deep attention to detail;
• Strong communication skills; competency in Spanish a plus;
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.;
• Studies in viticulture or enology or related sciences preferred;
• Reliable transportation to and from work, as we are not accessible via public transportation
Compensation: $21/hr + all lunches and snacks
If interested in this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.