Diversity Informatics Internship Program, Genentech Research and Early Development (gRED) Informatics
You must apply on our Careers Page to be considered for this position - https://go.gene.com/DiversityInformaticsInternship2023
2023 Summer Intern - Department Summary
Genentech's Research and Early Development (gRED) Informatics team is now accepting applications for their Summer of 2023 "Diversity Informatics Internship Program." This program is designed with the intention to foster diversity in our talent pipeline and to bring exposure to the informatics / computational sciences career path for students from underrepresented groups.
The Diversity Informatics Internship Program is seeking multiple interns this summer to contribute to our scientific data management, analytics, or systems development efforts. As an intern, you will be mentored in performing various informatics tasks by a manager in the program.
This internship position is located in South San Francisco, on site.
Sample of Preferred Skills from Past Intern Projects:
Please note: You do not need to have all these skills to apply. Instead, this is a sampling of the skills from our past informatics interns to give you an idea of what we’re looking for.
- Familiarity with R, Python or other programming language
- Familiarity working in a Linux computing environment and with issue tracking systems
- Familiarity with GitHub
- Familiarity with the software development lifecycle
- Familiarity with machine learning/deep learning algorithms
- Familiarity with Natural Language Processing (NLP) and algorithms development
- Familiarity in Computer Vision / Image Analysis / Digital Pathology and algorithms development
- Operations or project management experience
- Intensive 12-weeks, full time (40 hours per week) paid internship.
- Program start dates are in May and June 2023.
- Ownership of challenging and impactful business-critical projects.
- Work with some of the most talented people in the biotechnology industry.
- Final presentations of project work to senior leaders.
- Lead or participate in intern committees to design and coordinate program events and initiatives.
- Professional & personal development curriculum throughout the program, including networking opportunities, workshops, and panel discussions.
- Participate in volunteer projects, social events, and team-building activities.
Who You Are
- Education: Any Degree Level. Undergraduates who have completed at least one year of undergraduate coursework at a university, current graduate students (MS or PhD) who are available to work full time for the duration of the internship, or recent grads (within 2 years of receiving their last degree).
- Preferred majors: Informatics, Computational Sciences and related fields.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Complements our culture and the standards that guide our daily behavior & decisions: Integrity, Courage, and Passion.
- Interest in learning about informatics and the drug discovery and development process
- Outstanding communication, collaboration, and problem solving skills
- Careful, detail-oriented working style
- Initiative in identifying, suggesting and executing process improvements
- Quick learner
Along with the submission of your Resume/CV, a cover letter is optional.
Relocation benefits are not available for this job posting.
The expected salary range for this position based on the primary location for this position of California is $21.00 - $50.00 per hour. Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, geographic location, and other job-related factors permitted by law. This position also qualifies for paid holiday time off benefits.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer, and we embrace the increasingly diverse world around us. Genentech prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status and veteran status.
Genentech requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Genentech, and it applies regardless of whether the position is located at a Genentech campus or is fully remote. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or because it is prohibited as a result of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.