Job Title: Biotech Lab Technician I
Los Angeles, CA
About the Company:
Mozza is an early-stage biotech startup working on two of the most-pressing issues of our time: climate change and animal welfare. We are engineering plants to produce bovine milk proteins, making dairy without cows. Our goal is the complete removal of cows from the dairy manufacturing process. We define success as a mozzarella cheese made with milk proteins from our plants that is indistinguishable from mozzarella made from cow's milk, in stores and on pizzas within 48 months.
Our research facility is located in downtown Los Angeles and we’re actively looking to expand our team.
We are looking for a research lab technician to join our team. The right candidate will be extremely proficient in basic lab techniques and procedures. You will be assisting in the design, research set-up and execution of experiments that require a high-level of attention and diligence. You will be required to calibrate and handle sensitive equipment, work in and manage sterile environments, assist with ordering and maintaining lab supplies, and report and record experimental procedures and findings in meticulous detail. Our research techniques change in response to new findings, so the right candidate must be flexible and adept at learning new skills as our research evolves.
If you have lab experience, are passionate about changing how the world feeds itself, and you want to be a direct contributor to positive change for the environment and animal welfare, then this job may be right for you.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Perform laboratory experiments involving protein gel electrophoresis and membrane transfer.
- Perform Western blotting, detection, and analysis using a chemiluminescence imager.
- Determine suitable controls and analysis for all experiments.
- Create reproducible standard protocols and troubleshoot as necessary.
- Work with other scientists to develop standard operating procedures.
- Execute protocols to aid in an understanding of the properties of lipids and proteins.
- B.S. or M.S. degree.
- Experience in a bioscience research lab.
- Ability to keep accurate, organized records and maintain an electronic notebook.
- Ability to clearly organize and archive samples.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with other members of the project.
- Ability to meet agreed upon deadlines, manage time effectively and work efficiently.
- Ability to coordinate and participate in standard lab upkeep.
- Strong basic math skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Has a passion for learning and contributing to a game-changing project.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Applicants must be able to commute daily and work from our laboratory located in Downtown, Los Angeles CA
The successful candidate MUST be highly detail oriented and very organized.
Given the delicate nature of working with plants and running time-sensitive experiments, some weekend and after hour work is often required.
Reports To: Senior Scientist
Job Type: Full-time
Work authorization: United States (Required)
- Health insurance
- Paid time off