Math Department Student Assistant
The Math and Statistics Department is a busy, fast paced work environment particularly during registration and the beginning of each semester. This position involves a high level of student contact in person, on the phone, and through email. It involves helping students register for their classes by first looking up whether they have met the prerequisites for the classes they wish to enroll in and then making sure the appropriate pairings of classes are selected when applicable, or knowing when to send them to one of the Staff members or Dept. Chair for help. During the semester duties shift to being a first line of contact for Faculty printing and supply needs; placing transfer cart supply orders; assisting the Department Chair and Staff members with collecting syllabi and other data from Faculty as needed; generating and posting class cancellation notices and emails to students. We will fully train you so don't hesitate to apply if you're looking for an office assistant job but don't have much experience yet. Prior office or receptionist experience is beneficial but not necessary. The position is up to 20 hours of office work per week during the semesters and summer.
The person holding this position may be considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Compliance training completion (approx. 4 hours of work time) is required of this position within the first 30 days of work. Student employees not meeting this requirement may be released from employment.
California State University, Chico, in accordance with CSU policy, may require that the successful candidate complete a background check (including a criminal records check, sexual offender registry check and/or fingerprinting) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive.
Duties will include:
- Answer phones and direct calls appropriately
- Maintain Math Department website using Cascade database
- Peer advise students regarding their math courses
- Assist in checking prerequisites and articulations through viewing transcripts and using Assist.org
- Complete copy requests for faculty and staff
- Assist with inputting data into excel spreadsheets for monthly time sheets
- Maintain the Math Department email
- Assist walk-in traffic (students, faculty, staff)
- Take inventory of office supplies
- Prior knowledge and experience with EO 1110
- Knowledge of the CSU-Chico MATH course sequencing
- Experience using Cascade database for web- maintenance
- Ability to work independently
- Firm understanding of how higher education MATH courses work
- BOX, Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word experience
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Ability to learn quickly
- Keyboarding skills
Effective September 30, 2021, the CSU will require faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or have received a medical or religious exemption. Selected candidates should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/. Questions can be sent to email@example.com (staff and management positions) or firstname.lastname@example.org (faculty positions).