Biodynamic Vineyard Internship
About Eco Terreno:
Companies, like great wines, are not just produced; rather they are carefully cultivated. We are seeking passionate individuals to join our team at Eco Terreno where we employ our experience in winemaking with time honored traditions in a healthy respect for the land. With 140-acres of Biodynamically and organically certified land, planted primarily to vineyards in Alexander Valley near Cloverdale, we are one of the leading wine farms in Northern California.
We believe our choices are opportunities to directly impact our future. We embrace the challenges and strive to nurture our planet and its inhabitants. By committing to being part of the solution, as opposed to part of the problem, we hope to inspire others to do the same. It may not be the most profitable or quickest path to success, but it is the most responsible and caring. We are confident small steps create greater strides and are grateful to share our journey with you.
As a company we echo the holistic habitat of our farm and thoughtfully embrace intention in everything we do. The caring hands that tend our fruit and the participants in our journey to share our wine with you, are valued as friends and family. By extending strong living wages and benefits to our team, which are far above industry standards, we are authentic in our purpose and our passion.
Under the direction of the Vineyard Manager, Winemaker, and other Eco Terreno Vineyards (ETV) leadership team, assist with duties required to maintain the company’s Organic and Biodynamic viticultural vineyard programs. Eco Terreno vineyards sit in the famous Alexander Valley, in Cloverdale CA. Key responsibilities will entail: helping to maintain good viticultural farming practices leading to the production of the highest quality grapes possible and assisting in the monitoring and collection of vineyard data. The intern will be an integral part of the team in understanding what is occurring in the vineyard in order to make decisions in real time.
Vineyard Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Perform data collection, analysis and create reports for cluster sampling, water potential sampling, cluster weights, and Brix sampling utilizing the agricultural database
· Learn the rhythm of biodynamics and how the practices are applied yearly
· Monitor vineyard for pests, diseases, nutrition, cover crop health, and vine health
· Participate in the irrigation regime to meet vine water needs
· Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of pest control programs under direction of Vineyard Manager
· Conduct vine nutrition analysis status through periodic petiole and SAP analysis samples and summarize findings for team
· Measure soil nutrition status through periodic soil samples and summarize findings for team
· Integrate and summarize vine and soil nutrition data for team to make real time management decisions
· Under the direction of the ETW management team, input, and monitor irrigation schedules to meet canopy growth and fruit quality expectations
· Participate in grape harvest
· Vineyard Manager will assign special projects as needed.
· Other duties as assigned
Field Viticulture Data Collection Program
· Ensure viticulture, grape yields, phenological, weather, and fruit chemistry data are collected and reported in an accurate and timely manner
· Assist in the development and maintenance of Viticulture Plans, annual Vintage Summary Report and other viticultural reports
· Education/Experience: Must be currently enrolled in a credential education program/ viticulture experience (preferred).
· Language: Fluent in English with strong oral and communication skills. Basic Spanish (preferred).
· Skills: Capability and desire to learn relevant vineyard computer skills, including spreadsheets, word processing, and database programs.
· Knowledge: Good knowledge of vine physiology, phenology, morphology, and water relations (preferred). Knowledge of soils, soil chemistry, plant nutrition, and pest management (preferred).
· Must possess a valid driver’s license and meet the company’s automobile insurance requirements.
· Full time availability for position (preferred) including some night and weekend work during harvest.
· Employees must adhere to all Eco Terreno Covid-19 safety policies.
· Other: must have valid documentation to meet US work requirements, no assistance with Visas will be provided.
Other Preferred Job Qualifications:
· Spanish language skills.
· The above information is representative of the work performed in this position; however, it is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility does not exclude it from the position if the work is similar or related to the essential duties and responsibilities.
· Technical machinery operations experience
· Ability to read and interpret documents such as sales documents and scripts and to write routine report/spreadsheets and correspondence.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
· Intermediate Skills: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
· Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook (or equivalent programs). Working knowledge of AgCode (preferred).
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs, talk, hear, taste and smell. Must possess vision, hearing and sufficient digital manipulation skills to utilize farming equipment. The employee is frequently required to climb and balance, stoop, kneel and crouch. The employee must be able to frequently lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
· The employee must be able to constantly operate hand tools, all terrain utility vehicles, and heavy equipment as an essential function of the job.
· The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Most duties will be performed outdoors, including garden and vineyard facilities.