Environmental Educator and Youth Counselor at a Residential Summer Camp
Do you want to take your skills as an Environmental Educator to the next level this summer? Do you want an internship where you can teach environmentally focused activities such as beekeeping, outdoor kitchen herbalism, creek stomping, WILD, shelter building and more?
Learn more than you ever thought you could about relating to children in a manner that empowers their growth and independence! Apply to Camp Augusta’s summer internship program, and by the end of August, your resume could read:
Environmental Education Counselor - Camp Augusta Summer 2023
After 300+ hours of dedicated training within a closely-knit 150 person community, I acted as a primary caretaker for 5 campers with 24-hour responsibilities including behavior management and child development. This took place in a 90 acre forest where I learned, practiced, and facilitated 12+ environmentally focused clinics such as beekeeping, outdoor kitchen herbalism, creek stomping, WILD, shelter building and more. These accompanied training and practice in skills including facilitation and debriefing, Non-Violent Communication, performance arts, 1st aid / emergency preparedness, and teaching various activity areas.
We are also happy to co-design your internship based on the skills and development you seek.
- Must be at least 19 years of age by June 1st, 2023
- Must be available during our summer dates: from May 16th to August 12th 2023
Your tasks and responsibilities will be to…
- Create magical, intentional special wake ups and evening connection-building activities for your cabin on a daily basis
- Facilitate camper ideas for a daily cabin activity that engage the whole group for an hour
- Teach four activity blocks per day, and find joy in the variety and the opportunity to impart knowledge and facilitate fun
- Run a unique, themed daily activity that draws upon your personal creativity and skills; “sell” these activities through playful skits
- Play in Evening Programs; bring enthusiasm to character roles in games, including skits and stations; excited to actively participate in campfires with songs, skits, or both
- Create and offer two gifts from the heart per camper, per session: a special wood cookie award and a thoughtful Parent Letter
- Support the growth of teen leadership campers (CIRCLE & JC) through intentional scaffolding when applicable
This is the place for you if you…
- Are overjoyed to build close relationships between and facilitate a meaningful overall experience for 5 campers
- Have depth of emotional and physical stamina to joyfully engage with a community of 95 campers and 60 staff members for 9 weeks in the summer
- Are playful and eager to explore the creation of magical worlds with enthusiastic character roles
- Are dedicated to guiding/counseling children utilizing emotionally intelligent, thoughtful counseling techniques (to be learned/practiced in detail throughout pre-camp and staff training)
- Can support the growth, interests, and emotional well-being of the other counselors within your village, as well as the camp-wide community
- Bring a sense of organization and flow to the daily schedule for your campers
Benefits of working at Camp Augusta:
- 300+ Hours of Experiential Training: Pre-arrival preparation and 3.5 weeks of on-site training, including:
- 75+ hours of experiential learning in psychology-based philosophies and approaches
- 45+ hours learning activities within our 150+ clinic offerings
- 180+ hours of learning camp by doing camp
- 9 Weeks of Summer Practicing: Being responsible for cabins of 5 campers at a time, and applying all the skills above to camp activities and discussions.
- A Skilled & Dedicated Scaffolder: With no more than a 1:8 ratio, this person emphasizes your growth and works with you to develop your skills working with kids
- Paid & Inclusive: This position offers a summer salary of $4000. Additional opportunities for pre-and post-season work also exist. All work includes freshly-prepared organic food, housing, and many more Perks and Benefits.
About Camp Augusta:
Camp Augusta is a nonprofit residential summer camp in northern California that offers a truly unique summer camp experience for campers and staff alike. We are focused on counseling skills, creativity, excellent programming, and camper choice - see more about the vision of our camp here.