Aquatics - Swim Instructor
With the general guidance and direction of the Aquatics Coordinator and/or the Aquatics Specialist Swim instructors will create a positive learning experience by showing enthusiasm for the job and being organized and prepared for each lesson. Swim instructors must be confidence in their ability to retaining, and demonstrate the information and skills of CARD’s Aquatic program while teaching. The Swim Instructor position is an hourly, temporary position limited to working 20 – 25 hours per week up to a maximum of 970 hours per fiscal year over 121+ days as a Chico Area Recreation and Park District (CARD) employee *or* is an hourly, temporary position limited to working a maximum of 35 hours per week, but no more than 120 days per fiscal year total as a CARD employee.
First review of applications will be March 7th however position will remain open until all spots are filled.
ESSENTIAL AND MARGINAL FUNCTIONS: May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide quality customer service; have positive communication and interaction with patrons, program participants, parents, customers, and co-workers, and maintain a professional demeanor.
- Complete and issue swim lesson evaluations and achievement cards to participants.
- Create lesson plans and effective strategies focusing on technique, stroke development, etc for each swim level.
- Adapt teaching approach to match the experience and abilities of participants while providing timely, positive and corrective feedback to participants.
- Provide a safe and positive swimming experience for participants of all ages and swimming abilities.
- Informs participants and/or parents about knowledge and skill evaluation procedures and courses completion requirements.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a current CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (or equivalent) per aquatic season requirements.
- MUST be 16 years of age or older at hire date.
- MAY have experience in an aquatic setting.
- MUST have experience working with children and the general public.
- Desired certification Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- Desired certification Lifeguard Training
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate including projecting voice across distance.
- Level of hearing and vision necessary to perform essential functions of the position.
- Ability to read and write at a level necessary for acceptable job performance.
- Ability to follow CARD regulations and guidelines for emergencies.
- Ability to be in compliance with and meet criminal history checks requirements.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques
- Ability to remain alert, with no lapses in consciousness.
- Frequent sitting, including in and around an elevated chair; walking or standing for long periods of time on slippery ground.
- Occasional bending, twisting, kneeling, or squatting.
- Hear noises and distress signals in an aquatic environment with background noises.
- Frequent hearing and talking in person; occasionally by phone.
- Constant use of overall vision.
- Frequent lifting, pushing, or pulling up to 25 pounds; occasionally up to 50 pounds.
- Frequent grasping, holding, and reaching, including reaching over head or shoulder.
- Frequent participant, public, and co-worker contact.
- Occasional exposure to loud noises and large groups of people.
- Work performed in an outdoor environment subject to weather conditions, sun exposure, and water exposure. Duties include exposure recreation-related field noise or street noise. Travel in between sites within a 6 mile radius may be required.
CARD is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
If candidate is given a conditional job offer, they must pass a fingerprint background check (Live Scan). If Live Scan is passed, the employee will be required to provide original documents for physical review within 3 days from date of hire, satisfying the Form I-9 requirements. Copies cannot be accepted. Examples of original documents include a driver's license, ID card, unexpired US Passport, social security card, birth certificate.