Compliance Engineering - EMI/EMC Test Engineer Internship (Fall 2022)
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August or September 2022 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December/January) or into early Spring 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the team
Regulatory product compliance is a critical business function and a rapidly expanding sector. Regulatory complexity is increasing and continuously evolving with many local, national and international codes, standards and regulations (CSRs).
The Tesla Compliance team is looking for an Intern to support EMC Design and Testing activities to validate and homologate renewable energy and off-board charging products. These products incorporate solar, storage, energy management and charging technologies meeting global standards such as UL, EN and CSA.
Intern will support EMI/EMC testing and automation activities by designing, building and operating test fixtures. Intern will test and interface with high-power high-energy storage systems and subsystems.
In this role, intern will have an opportunity to work with the EMC engineers and support various EMI/EMC testing and validation activities like test sample preparation, setup test fixtures, build and fabricate support equipment, test execution, debug/root cause analysis, test data analysis, documentation, presenting and communicating results to the nationally recognized testing laboratories (NRTL’s).
- Design, build, and utilize EMI/EMC test equipment and other support equipment
- Execute product level EMI/EMC testing and debugging
- Evaluate test results per EMC requirements
- Collaboratively work with hardware, software/firmware and system design engineering teams
- Coordinate sample allocation and logistics for Compliance test execution
- Compile test data and documentation
- Currently working towards a BS, MS or advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Electromagnetics, Antenna theory or Mechatronics
- Strong ability to troubleshoot electrical systems including using lab tools such as Spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, Power analyzers, Data Acquisition systems, DMMs
- Advanced knowledge in Python. Knowledge of Pytest a plus
- Understanding of high voltage, electrical principles and reading/generating electrical wiring diagrams
- Basic familiarity with bus protocols such as CAN, USB and ethernet
- High voltage work environment familiarity
- Mastery of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Project
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated with a desire to quickly drive solutions from concept to final implementation
- Able to work on multiple projects, manage competing deadlines and ability to problem solve
- Strong propensity to build, assemble, and fix things
- Preferred - Experience working with NRTL and global compliance, Test Automation experience using Tile, LabVIEW, Excel, measurement equipment, electronic load banks and Power Conversion systems, Gannt charts and Project planning