Event Coordination Internship
INTERNSHIP OPENING: VISUAL & GRAPHICS FOCUSED PUBLIC RELATIONS
REPORTS TO: Events & Communications Coordinator
STATUS: Part-Time (8-16 hours/week)
COMPENSATION: Unpaid Intern position, no monetary compensation
LOCATION: Stonewall Alliance LGBT*Q+ Center, Chico, CA
The Visual and Graphics PR Intern creates graphics and/or art; takes, curates or edits videos; and takes, curates or edits photos for electronic and print materials to engage and inform the local LGBT*Q+ and ally community about Stonewall’s programs, services and events. This position also works on visual media to accompany announcements from partnered organizations, current events, and community-wide information. They work collaboratively with the Writing and Strategy Focused PR Intern to create and publish content in social media, emails, newsletters, websites, press releases, posters and fliers, with particular attention paid to timeliness, intersectionality, accessibility and relevance to/ representation of the queer and trans* community.
- Creates graphics or visual content for social media posts to advertise upcoming events and program announcements on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter;
- Creates graphics or visual content to accompany information from Stonewall’s community partners and relevant current events via social media;
- Creates and/ or assists in managing certain Facebook event pages, Instagram accounts, group pages and general Stonewall pages;
- Creates graphics or visual content for emails, newsletters, websites, etc.;
- Creates graphic components of fliers and posters, co-leads volunteer postering team;
- Will occasionally write posts, articles, etc. for various Stonewall media and publications;
- Ensures all visual content produced or sent by Stonewall is accompanied by image descriptions/ alt-text so as to be accessible to the visually impaired.
- Attends Stonewall staff and event meetings when appropriate;
- Actively learns about and contributes to Stonewall’s programs, resources, community relations, events and values by attending competency trainings, assisting in office and front desk duties, assisting during events, and assisting in outreach tabling program;
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Passion for the Center’s mission and work to create a region where LGBT*Q+ people thrive;
- Familiarity with LGBT*Q+ issues, social justice, activism and/ or community nonprofit work, as well as a commitment to creating or finding visual content that welcomes and engages people of all identities and backgrounds within the LGBT*Q+ community;
- Skilled in graphic design, artistic design and visual marketing;
- Original, professional and eye-catching design style;
- Strong grasp of design programs such as Canva or Adobe Suite, etc.
- Understanding of size requirements and design when creating visual content for each different type of media: Websites, Posters, Fliers, Facebook posts, Instagram Posts, stories, etc.
- Experience working in deadline-driven and fast-paced environments;
- Ability to work collaboratively, be flexible and open minded, take constructive criticism and draft multiple versions before finalizing content;
- Commitment to work effectively with and serve people of any race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, housing status, religion, age, English-speaking ability, citizenship or immigration status, and physical or mental abilities in an intersectional environment.
- Pursuing a degree/ education in a field related to Media, Communications or LGBT*Q+ studies.
- Ability to speak/read/write effectively in English is required.
- Access to reliable transportation is required.
- Weekly internship must be primarily completed during weekday afternoons, M-F 12-6pm (Stonewall’s open hours) at the Stonewall Center. Occasional hours may be obtained outside of these times when the intern is working on a Stonewall event, performing outreach tabling, etc.
- The person in this position may be asked to sit or stand for extended periods, move objects up to 25 pounds, ascend/descend stairs, operate office equipment, open and close filing cabinets and boxes, take notes, and communicate messages by telephone. The intern should notify their supervisor(s) of any physical limitations which make these tasks difficult or impossible, so that appropriate accommodations can be made.
The Stonewall Alliance of Chico is proud to be an equal opportunity employer:
People of color, transgender and gender-non-conforming people, persons with disabilities, intersex people, women, and persons who are LGBT*Q+ are highly encouraged to apply.
The Center maintains a policy of non-discrimination with respect to employees and applicants for employment. No aspect of employment will be influenced in any matter by race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, physical disability, medical/mental condition, perceived physical disability or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by statute.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Stonewall Alliance is committed to cultivating a safe, open, inclusive environment for all members of the gender and sexual minority and ally community. Stonewall Alliance’s goal is to unite, strengthen, and affirm the community through support, resources, education, advocacy, and celebration. Stonewall provides:
- Free, low-cost counseling for all individuals
- Cultural sensitivity training to other organizations, businesses, and schools
- Free support groups that specialize in community issues - such as parents of the LGBT*Q+ community, trans teens, etc.
- Advocacy services including legal name and gender marker changes, gender expression services, and individualized appointments
- Low-cost counseling
- Free and confidential HIV and Hepatitis C testing and counseling
- Events that celebrate diversity
Go to https://formstack.io/84F8A to fill out our Internship application, which will include an upload of your resume and a cover letter detailing why you’d like to work with Stonewall, what background/ experience/ skills make you a good fit for our organization, and which intern position you are applying for. To see other internship opportunities with us, go to stonewallchico.com/internship.
For more information or for questions, contact us at 530-893-3336 or email@example.com.