Position: Academic Coach (minimum 10 hours per week)
The Academic Coach works under direction of an Accessibility Advisor/Academic Coaching Program Coordinator and performs duties specific to providing 1:1 support, information, and encouragement to Accessibility Resource Center (ARC) students. The Academic Coach must possess effective communication skills, follow ethical standards, be interested in working with students with disabilities, and have availability for weekly one-hour sessions with assigned ARC students. The Academic Coach must be able to communicate specific and detailed information to ARC students, referring Accessibility Advisor, and ARC staff in a professional and confidential manner. The Academic Coach is also responsible for referring students to their Accessibility Advisor, or to WellCat Counseling Center, if a situation arises that the student is in crisis, and they must report any concerns to the Accessibility Advisor as soon as possible.
Mandatory Training: A minimum of six hours of training with the Program Coordinator and Lead Coaches prior to the start of the fall 2023 semester.
· Develop rapport with assigned students
· Provide awareness and contact information of campus and community resources
· Assist with services provided to neuro-diverse students (specifically students on the Autism spectrum), including development and presentation of workshops focusing on academic and social skills development, in addition to individual coaching
· Refer and accompany students to campus resources
· Refer students to their Accessibility Advisor for any problem outside of scope of coaching
· Offer support to encourage growth and retention in school
· Participate in monthly team meetings and weekly meetings with Program Coordinator
· Gather feedback from students to evaluate program efficiency
· Assist with setting and following through with goals
· Assist student with various skills including time management, academic and personal organizational skill development, exam prep techniques, and development of a self-care practice
· Available for weekly sessions with assigned ARC students
· Willingness to work flexible hours which include weekends or evenings
· Participate in weekly team meetings with Program Coordinator
· Submit timely weekly progress reports to Program Coordinator
· Undergraduate Junior, Senior, or Graduate level student with good standing – 2.5 GPA or above (preference may be given Graduate level students)
· Possess effective communication skills
· Ability to follow ethical standards
· Interested in working with students with disabilities, specifically students with a mental health and neuro-diverse diagnosis
· Knowledge of ARC mission and services
· Must be available to attend mandatory training prior to start of fall 2023 semester
Please provide required documents including resume, cover letter, and a copy of your fall 2023 course schedule.
A letter of recommendation may also be provided but is not required.
The CSU will require faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19. Selected candidates should be prepared to comply with this requirement. Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org (staff and management positions) or email@example.com (faculty positions).
“The person holding this position may be considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.”
The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Compliance training completion (approx. 4 hours of work time) is required of this position within the first 30 days of work. Student employees not meeting this requirement may be released from employment.